The James Creek Marina was first constructed in 1913 as the Corinthian Yacht Club. It was transferred to the National Park Service under the name Ft. McNair Yacht Basin in 1964.
In September 1988, the name of the motorboat marina was changed to the James Creek Marina. James Creek was the name of the body of water that ran in this area when Pierre L'Enfant designed the city of Washington in 1791.
In 1990 the marina was completely renovated. All the existing pilings, docks and structures were removed or demolished. The marina was dredged, a sea wall was built along the existing shoreline, and new Meeco floating docks were installed.
Today the marina offers slip rentals, along with amenities, which include transcient dockage 100'+, fuel docks, no wake zone, floating docks, ample parking, picnic area, volleyball, and much more.
In 2008, Guest Services, Inc. assumed management responsibilities for the marina. Guest Services, a National Park Service Concessionaire, also operates Columbia Island Marina and Thompson's Boat House (all certified clean marinas), Washington Sailing Marina, and The Boathouse at Fletcher's Cove.